The 2016 Level 9 Eastern Nationals were held April 28-May 1 in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Unfortunately our Media Team was not able to attend the competition, so we asked coaches, parents and athletes to send us videos, pictures, updates and for the All-Around Champions to fill out our Region 5 National Champions Q&A.
Lets meet the first Level 9 in our Eastern Nationals Series, Senior 2 Eastern National Champion Samantha Sworst from GTC in Rochester Hills, Michigan
- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How does it feel to be the 2016 Level 9 Eastern National All-Around Champion?
- Being the Senior 2 Champion feels wonderful!!! I feel like all the hours of practice and conditioning in the gym have paid off. I am very happy to have this special honor and could not have done it without my two amazing coaches.
- Tell us how your meet went for you? Walk us through each moment of your day, Warm-Ups, events Etc……
- I was very excited to arrive for warm-ups and meet my region 5 teammates. They were so friendly and supportive. Warm-ups went well and I was feeling confident. My first event was beam, I felt like I did well, but I was excited for my next event floor. Floor is my favorite event. Floor went great and then came my second favorite event Vault. I finished with Bars and felt very good about my all-around performance.
- What do you normally do between events to stay focused and read for the next event?
- I usually try to relax my mind and focus on my next routine. My coaches always give ides n what to focus on for my next event. I review it over in my mind and try to forget about anything else.
- Tell us about the atmosphere of the meet compared to regular season meets you have been too.
- The atmosphere was much more exciting and relaxed. I felt very privileged to be at Nationals and I think oat of the gymnasts felt the same way. We all seemed to encourage each other.
- What is it like being part of Region 5 at Eastern Nationals?
- Being part of Region 5 was very exciting because the coaches and gymnasts were motivating and friendly. Everyone cheered for each other and was supportive.
- How has your experience been here at Nationals? What have you been doing besides competing?
- When the meet is over what is or what was the first thing you did to celebrate your win?
- I went out with my mom for a late lunch and then shopping with my mom and teammates.
- Other than becoming National Champion, what was one highlight of the meet for you?
- I really enjoyed meeting different gymnasts and coaches in this very friendly region. they made me feel very welcome and seemed to be very happy and supportive to me.
- Anything crazy or funny happen during your competition?
- One of the Region 5 coaches was very into cheering and motivating the girls. HE used a big fan hand to high five us when we were done competing on vault. This was fun and helped to relieve tension and keep everyone in good spirits.
- How does Region 5 compare to the other Regions out on the competition floor? what sets Region 5 apart?
- Region 5 seemed to be more of a team and more supportive of each other. All the coaches seemed to treat us like we belonged to their gym. Many cheered and motivated me throughout the meet. I am glad to be part of Region 5
- Who inspired you the most during your competition or day? What did they say to you? How did you get amped up and motivated to compete?
- My wonderful coaches (Amanda and Jamie), my mom and my other teammates.
- They told me to stay stay focused. To keep me motivated I listened to my favorite music and relaxed my mind.
Check out more Eastern videos on our coverage page